Sunday, December 9, 2007

Good Solid Footings



(Inspired from mind altering subtance induced hiking trip of yesteryear)

My back is up against the dust layered surface of a rocky enclave high up above the barely audible river that seems to be miles below me. I am standing on a rocky ledge after a long hike up a beaten path, after an even longer drive to reach the path, and after an ageless span of time waiting for the trip itself. My hiking partners are maneuvering their way up to the same ledge to get a glimpse of where we have been. Can we see where we parked? Can we see the winding path that led us to this place of beauty? It is a view to see, the valley stretching out for miles and miles, unknown mountains rising up in the distance, and the winding river snaking it's way along the valley floor...it's something that you can only see from this unnerving height. It is wondrous to see, but I am scared.

The ledge I am standing on is about 3 feet deep, yet it feels like I am only inches away from tumbling down the side of the mountain, down past the tall pines and massive oaks, bouncing off boulders and trunks in a pinwheel of pain and death. It is not possible, I know, for below the ledge is the wide path that we had taken up to this place. It is wide enough for me to land safely if I fall. I wonder if my hiking companions are as scared as I am.

I don't think I have a fear of heights. It could be that my feet are not on what I deem to be solid ground. Good old Terra Firma. This rock could slide off the side of this mountain at any moment. I'm sure of it. It has kept a solid grip for hundreds, thousands, (millions?) of years and those fingers have got to be getting tired by now. It could just let go and slide down leaving a wake of splintered trees and furrowed earth in it's wake. Not to mention bewildered or mangled humans as well. Shiver.

Of course none of this happens. My companions and I finally come down from the ledge and continue on our way. On the path. A path with good, solid ground under our feet. The view from the ledge is gone, and the path which meanders through the trees only allows a view of more of the same; dirt, pebbles and trunks of tall conifers. But it is more comfortable on the path than on the ledge.

My feet are on a ledge right now. Unknown possibilities are looming ahead in my future. Great possibilities of new friendship, romance, and hope. Gloomy possibilities of financial hardship, unknown in-betweens and endings. I want to be on solid ground. I want to be on a path where I know where it goes and how easy or hard the hike will be. I want my hiking companion to not shuck off the hiking boots and lace up the running shoes. This path isn't made for jogging, let alone sprinting. Too many roots and rocks to trip you up and make you fall flat on your face.

Hold my hand and let's stroll. Stay away from the ledge and keep on the path. There's a beautiful waterfall at the end of this trail...

6 comments:

  1. The view ahead is what is most important, not where you parked. To look back along the path you've trodden will only show you where you began, not the unknown part of life that is up ahead. Look forward along the path. Life is most exciting and worthwhile when you don't know what's over the next hill or around the next branch. You just know you have to keep on hiking to find out. You just have to have the courage to keep going on the path. What's behind you has taught you lessons, if you have paid true attention to them...that is why the path behind you is just that: behind. Who knows what is around the bend? That's why we all Live. To find out. And isn't that wondrous?

    If D likes you, you must be "good people". It's a pleasure to make your semi-acquaintance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tams, I love you. Thank you.

    Travis.... holy shit. You won't believe this but I swear it is true. I dreamed of that cliff last night. I'm not making this up. Serena, Charles, Burt Reynolds (no, really, he was there) were with me. Serena was drunk and wanted to jump, she was so unhappy. Charles and I held her back. We were in New Orleans and we went into this seedy motel. Burt was there and said that is where he stays every time he goes to NO. He tells me he wants to show me something and leads me through a door. When the door opens, that is the vista I saw. I swear it. I was on a flat ledge of rock just a few feet wide. I was terrified, and I'm not scared of heights at all, I'm normally the one with my feet hangin over the edge.

    WTF????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tams, I don't know you and already I like you :)

    Sweet Dawnia, surely there is something underlying going on. Coincidence, fate, what?
    Don't look out there...see, I'm right down here. Just step out and I will catch you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, my psychic twinkle. If only I could use my powers for good.

    I just love flirting with you... it is so fun!

    I actually smiled all day. Only two hours and 7 minutes left to this day and not a single tear. Thank you for being there, even though you are not physically here, you are here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit, I didn't read the post, I just popped over to say if my peeps like you, then i like you, and on a nite not so warm with wine, I shall return and read what makes them love you...
    Til then... burp. Good people don't have to dig that deep anyway, we all sort out like the wash. (crackola, friend of dawnia and tams)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the bestest friends in the whole wide world!!!!!!

    And crackola... I'm gonna do what Jeremy did for you... expect a baggie full of rose petals in the mail any day.

    ReplyDelete