Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Common Wealth

"We all have riches. Some have them in money, but most have riches in talent, ideas, creativity, loving, caring, or wisdom." -Sara Teasdale

As I closed the checkbook on another bill-paying session, I noticed that the number of days left until the next payday was not equally proportionate to the final number in the check register. I get paid every 15 days, which means that there are 11 days to go. 11 days to curtail spending. 11 days to wonder where it all goes. 11 days to watch it go. In the end, it doesn't really matter. I always seem to make it, one way or another. Besides, I have more wealth than a positive cash flow.

I was talking to a friend a while back around the icy chill of a cold one or two or six. Chit-chat turned to small talk turned to random thoughts turned to deep conversation. I remember talking about a guy we both know who had run into some trouble and with whom we had fallen out of contact with. He was the type of guy who couldn't sit still. He couldn't get his mind off of business and the art of accumulating the almighty dollar long enough to enjoy conversation and the deep connection between friends. Even on a camping trip, when he said "No business this weekend" he was on his phone, trying to make money.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making money. After all, it takes money to live, no matter where you are. Even those who "live off of the grid" had to buy things to get them there. Growing up, I never really knew how low the income level was at our house. We always seemed to have what we needed. And occasionally, what we wanted. But there was never a shortage on things that kids need; love from my grandmother, food on the table, the whole world in a 2-acre yard, education from schooling and from common sense, shoes and clothes, and whenever deemed necessary...a good ol' paddlin'.

There are things in our lives much more important than money. The love of your family and friends, good health, hobbies, and time spent with all the above, just to name a few. This guy just didn't get it. It came out in our conversation that our friend asked my buddy, "Aren't you worried about money? Don't you want wealth?" And the answer to his questions stunned him; he was blown away. My buddy told him exactly what I would have said. "I do have wealth. I have a wife and kids who love me. I have a job that pays the bills. I have my toys; my cars which are my hobbies. I am surrounded by friends who are always there for me and are always welcome in my home. I have all the wealth I need at the moment." This other guy didn't get it. He asked, "How do you get these things?" My friend answered, "It isn't something you get. It's just something you have. And all I know is that I have it."

I get it. In fact, I got it too. I have children that love me and I love them. I have a woman who has my heart and who means the world to me. I love her. I have a job that doesn't make me rich, but I consider it the best job I've ever had. I may not have a lot of material goods, but what I have is mine. I didn't "get" any of these common riches by buying them. I just have them. If I have to buy these things, it sure isn't bought with money. The down payment is kindness. The monthly payment is understanding. And the interest earned is love.

Too many people are concerned about their fat bank accounts without even caring about others who may be in dire need. They are too focused on the accumulation of their own wealth. It doesn't matter that there isn't a high-definition flat-panel television in my living room. I don't care that I drive a small economy car that was isn't flashy or could smoke you on the straightaway and that my other vehicle is one whose meager monthly payments ended while I still hadn't even grown my first facial hair. My house isn't much to look at or to brag about, but it is home. I get it. I got it. It's good. I share a common wealth with my friends and loved ones who also get it.

And that makes me rich beyond my wildest dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment